Procedure Preparation Guide: Breast Augmentation
Getting a breast augmentation can be an exciting life event, whether you’re choosing the procedure to help you enjoy a boost of self-confidence, update your look or for a variety of other reasons. At Castellano Cosmetic Surgery Center in Tampa, Florida, we’re dedicated to providing an educational, comfortable and relaxing experience. If you’re looking forward to your breast augmentation procedure, this preparation guide can help you to gain a better understanding of each step of the process.
Use this guide to help you prepare for each stage of the breast augmentation process, and if you have any questions that aren’t addressed here, please contact us online or call us at (813) 803-6524.
Preparing for Your Breast Augmentation Consultation
The first step of the process is to schedule a consultation with your cosmetic surgeon. This provides an opportunity for you to discuss your individual needs and goals for your results, as well as to give your cosmetic surgeon a better idea of the surgical techniques that may work best to help you achieve those goals. This is also an excellent time to address any questions or concerns you might have.
In the Waiting Room
When you first arrive, ask yourself a few questions about the general atmosphere of your cosmetic surgeon’s office:
- Does everything appear to be clean and in order?
- Were you greeted by a friendly staff member who was available to help you?
- Is the environment both professional and comfortable?
Be sure to bring with you a list of any medications that you’re currently taking including vitamins, herbs and other supplements, and fill out all medical paperwork as required.
Meeting with Your Cosmetic Surgeon
During your first meeting, you’ll want to pay close attention to how you feel while interacting with your cosmetic surgeon. They will be your go-to resource moving forward, so it’s crucial that you feel you can build a positive rapport with them from the get-go. At your initial consultation, ask yourself:
- Do you feel comfortable talking with your cosmetic surgeon?
- Do they listen to and answer your questions or concerns?
- Can they explain the procedure in an easy-to-understand manner?
- Do they take the time to explain your various options?
What to Ask Your Cosmetic Surgeon
- Is a breast augmentation a good option for me? Why or why not?
- How many breast augmentations have you performed in the past?
- What accreditations do you and your practice have?
- Do you have before and after photos of breast augmentation results similar to the ones I may be able to expect?
2 Weeks before Breast Augmentation
- Stop all use of aspirin, ibuprofen and other blood-thinning medications
- Arrange for someone to drive you home from your procedure and to help you during the first 24 hours of recovery
- Make childcare or pet care arrangements for the first week of recovery
Several Days before Breast Augmentation
- Get all cleaning, laundry and other daily duties done
- Grocery shop and prepare healthy, ready-to-eat meals
- Prepare a comfortable recovery area for yourself
- Gather items that you may need from high shelves or hard-to-reach storage
- Check with your cosmetic surgeon’s office before taking over-the-counter medicine
- Don’t consume alcohol 24 hours before your breast augmentation
The Big Day
- Don’t eat or drink anything after midnight before your surgery
- Don’t wear makeup or use perfume, creams, powder, deodorant or lotions
- Wear glasses instead of contact lenses
- Don’t wear any jewelry or other valuables
- Dress in comfortable, loose-fitting clothing
Breast Augmentation Recovery Tips
There are a few things you can do to help make sure your recovery is as smooth and seamless as possible:
- Extra Pillows: You’ll need to remain in a reclined position for the first few weeks of recovery, so stocking up on some extra pillows or even a reading pillow with arms can be a huge help.
- Comfortable Clothing with Zippers: At first, you won’t be able to lift your arms up over your head, so make sure you have plenty of shirts that zip or button to make getting dressed easy.
- Bras: While you will be sent home with a medical bra, you may want to buy a few extra bras for later on in your recovery. Choose large, soft bras without underwire for maximum comfort.
- Stool Softener: Anesthesia and prescription pain medication can cause constipation, so having stool softener on hand can help to keep your bowels regular.
- Ice Packs: Reduce swelling and discomfort by applying a cold compress when needed.
- Entertainment: Make sure you have plenty of DVDs, magazines, books and other entertainment to keep you occupied while you give your body a chance to rest and recover.
After Your Breast Augmentation
Keep in mind that although you may begin to feel back to your normal self, it may take a few more months for your final results to take shape. Be patient as your body continues to heal, and keep in mind:
- Your breast implants will “drop and fluff.” Breast implants will settle into their final position over the next weeks and months. You should begin to notice your final results taking shape around 6 months after your breast augmentation.
- Scars can take up to 18 months to fully mature. Don’t be alarmed if the color or texture of your incision scars change during the healing process. Over time, scars will fade and become less noticeable on their own.
- Don’t buy too many new bras or clothing too soon. The size and position of your breasts will fluctuate until your implants have fully settled into their final position.
Remember not to try to rush your recovery. Even though you might have the energy to perform all of the same activities that you could prior to your breast augmentation, keep in mind that your body is still in the process of healing and recuperating. Giving yourself enough time for a smooth, efficient recovery can actually help to accelerate the recovery process and ensure that you get the balanced, beautiful results you’ve been looking forward to.
If you’re ready to move forward with breast augmentation, please contact us online or call our Tampa office at (813) 803-6524 to take the next step toward looking and feeling your absolute best.