Today we will be discussing the idea of breast augmentation, specifically the cosmetic procedure involving saline breast implants and some of the common “pros” given by patients choosing saline implants for your Tampa breast augmentation. After you review the information, please feel free to call our office at 813-872-6093. You can also contact us with questions on the Castellano Cosmetic Surgery Facebook page, which is located at https://www.facebook.com/tampacosmetic.
Before diving into the discussion regarding saline breast implants, it is important that we look at a couple of numbers in order to understand the popularity of breast augmentation in Tampa Florida and the rest of the country. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, 297,000 women across the entire United States voluntarily underwent breast augmentation in the year 2010. When you pair the total number of procedures in 2010 with the 139 million women over the age of 18 living in the United States, it illustrates that augmentation remains popular.
Time to look at the subject of saline breast implants!
Before the mid 2000’s, saline implants were the most commonly used implant across the United States. With FDA approval of two silicone gel implants in 2006, that popularity has fallen by as much as 20% in practices across both Tampa and the country.
“Popularity,” and news “recognition” factor aside, saline breast implants have many positives that you may not have considered. Take a look at some of the more common reasons our Castellano Cosmetic Surgery patients provide for making saline implants their choice.
- Cost. Saline implants aren’t as expensive.
- Adjustability. For women with major breast asymmetry issues, the adjustability of the size of a saline implant at the time of surgery can be helpful to fine-tune the correction of volume differences between the two breasts. With silicone gel implants, the implants are not adjustable, meaning one has to go to the next size implant.
- No need for follow-up scans. When a saline implant leaks, the saline is simply absorbed by the body. The implant deflates quickly, making the diagnosis of an implant deflation something that is easy and does not require diagnostic tests.
- Lingering anxiety about silicone gel. Despite the large number of carefully performed scientific studies, which disprove many of the “urban legends” about health issues and silicone, some women just remain more psychologically comfortable with the saline option.
- Wanting a more “rounded” look. If desired, this can be achieved by the over-inflation of a saline implant. The resulting shape is more spherical in nature, and provides the appearance of an increased upper breast fullness.
Remember to call us at 813-872-6093 to learn more about saline breast implants, as well as other breast augmentation procedures provided by Castellano Cosmetic Surgery. We look forward to speaking with you.