You lost a substantial amount of weight with diet and exercise but are still wearing baggy clothes because of loose skin and pockets of fat. Maybe you have completed your family and want to get back your pre-baby figure. No matter the reason, a tummy tuck, or abdominoplasty, can be the perfect solution for addressing loose skin, stubborn areas of fat, and weakened abdominal muscles. But not everyone is a good tummy tuck candidate. And if you don’t meet tummy tuck requirements, are there other options for body contouring?
What Makes You a Tummy Tuck Candidate?
A tummy tuck is a major surgery and anyone considering this procedure must be in good overall health. In addition, when considering this surgical procedure, you must have realistic expectations. During your initial consultation, your surgeon will assess your eligibility for a tummy tuck. This includes looking at specific factors that can delay or prevent you from being a tummy tuck candidate. These factors can include:
- Pre-existing health issues
- Overweight or obese, with a Body Mass Index (BMI) over 30
- A current smoker
- Not enough excess skin around the abdominal area to allow for a tummy tuck
- You are planning on having children
- Poor skin quality that is low in elastin
- You are not at your ideal weight and plan on losing more weight
- You are taking certain medications that may interfere with your body’s ability to heal.
Ideal tummy tuck candidates will meet these requirements:
- Are in good overall health with no underlying medical conditions that could complicate surgery or the healing process.
- Be at or near ideal body weight and committed to a healthy lifestyle to maintain optimal results.
- Have completed a family and do not plan on getting pregnant in the future.
- Have realistic goals and expectations when it comes to the procedure and results.
- You are a non-smoker or willing to quit before and after the procedure.
Options When You Don’t Meet the Requirements
If you have one or more of the factors listed above that may prevent you from being a tummy tuck candidate at the moment, you still have options. Some of the factors can be met with time, such as reaching your ideal body weight or finally quitting smoking. If, however, you have factors that are likely to keep you out of the operating room, your dream of a toned tummy is not over.
CoolSculpting® is a non-surgical option that allows you to target stubborn fat cells not only in the abdomen, but your thighs, buttocks, arms, back, and even your jawline. Coolsculpting uses cryolipolysis to target and freeze fat cells that are then flushed out of your body naturally.
Whether you meet the requirements for a tummy tuck or think CoolSculpting may be a better option, Dr. Castellano and his team are ready to help you on your journey. Call 813-872-6093 today to schedule your consultation and take the first step to becoming a new you!